Hot Smoked Rainbow Trout and Potato Bake

Image taken from Delicious

• About 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 3mm slices

• 1 Tbsp. olive oil

• 1 large red onion, sliced

• 1Ttbsp. plain flour

• A few handfuls of baby spinach

• Butter, for greasing

• Hot Smoked Rainbow Trout

• 200ml whipping cream

• 50g grated Gruyère

• These measurements are approximate.  

This is something simple and impressive looking. It is adapted from the Delicious Magazine website JANUARY 2009. I have an electric smoker and for this recipe I set it to 250°F and smoked the trout an hour. This leaves the fish a nice smoke flavour but not over cooked. You could also just use uncooked unsmoked fish. When you have all your ingredients prepared, preheat your oven to 375°F. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, then simmer the potatoes for 10-15 minutes. Drain and set aside. This first time I made this I cooked the sliced potatoes in the whipping cream until they were cooked but still firm. It took about 15 minutes.

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the red onion for 5 minutes, then stir in the flour.

Wilt the spinach in the potato water or cream over a medium heat, then squeeze out the excess liquid. Butter an ovenproof dish and layer up the potatoes and onion with the trout and the spinach, ending with a layer of potato.

Pour the cream over the top. Sprinkle with the Gruyère and bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden and bubbling.


Comments